Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myHIVteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myHIVteam Member asked a question 💭
Warren, MI
September 28
 · 
Be the first to react
A myHIVteam Member

Well he there’s no known test but I’ve been off ART for over a year and my cd-4 counts etc. have remained the same after over the course of the time and if these next results remain stable then I’ll be classified in that way

September 28
A myHIVteam Member

How did your doctor know? Is there a test to determine it?

Once I stopped taking my medicine to see what would happen, my HIV returned and I had to take a different medication because I became immune to the was I was taking.

September 28
A myHIVteam Member

Well , per my doctor I fall into that rare 1 percent I've been off ART drugs for over a year and I've remained as health as always

September 28
myHIVteam

An "elite controller" is a rare person living with HIV whose immune system is able to naturally suppress the virus to undetectable or very low levels — without the help of antiretroviral (ARV) medications. It's estimated that less than 1% of people with HIV fall into this category. Pretty remarkable, right?

Here's what Show Full Answer

An "elite controller" is a rare person living with HIV whose immune system is able to naturally suppress the virus to undetectable or very low levels — without the help of antiretroviral (ARV) medications. It's estimated that less than 1% of people with HIV fall into this category. Pretty remarkable, right?

Here's what generally defines an elite controller:

- Their viral load stays undetectable or extremely low without treatment
- Their CD4 (immune) cell counts remain stable and healthy
- Their immune system seems to keep HIV in check on its own

This doesn't mean HIV is gone — the virus is still present in the body. It just means the immune system is doing an unusually good job of controlling it. What does this mean for you personally? That really depends on your own situation. Even elite controllers are monitored closely by their doctors because:

- The virus can still be transmitted to others
- Viral load can increase over time in some cases
- There can still be some immune activation and inflammation

It's really important to have an open conversation with your HIV specialist about whether this applies to you, what your viral load and CD4 trends look like, and whether treatment is recommended in your specific case. Every person's situation is unique.

September 28

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In