Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myHIVteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I know many people have thought about doing something stupid and permanent to themselves when they found out they were positive. Ex specially if you were dealing with mental illness even before your status.to me it’s just human nature to be in control of your destiny. HIV makes you realize we are not infallible. Yes I know the commercials where everyone is taking one pill a day which makes you want to go snorkeling or riding a bike or sing and of course dancing in a wheat field lol. I think that… read more

September 29
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members opened up about the emotional weight of an HIV diagnosis, with many sharing that fear, despair, and thoughts of giving up were real... Read more

Members opened up about the emotional weight of an HIV diagnosis, with many sharing that fear, despair, and thoughts of giving up were real parts of their early experience. Several members described turning points that helped them choose life, including strong support systems, faith, pets, family, and the encouragement of others living long-term with HIV. A recurring theme was resilience, with many members emphasizing that while the diagnosis was life-changing, it did not have to mean the end, and that finding purpose, community, and self-worth made all the difference.

A myHIVteam Member

After I receive my diagnosis, I cried for three hours. I thought my life was over. That was back in October 16, 1995 wow so many years ago so much has been done giant steps forward, but one thing I do every day before my feet hit the ground getting out of bed is I thank God I thank God for my health that I am healthy that I got this disease that I may educate someone so that they may not get it. I’ve been fortunate in ways that I have not had any secondary infections. Nothing related oh I had some knee surgery because I melt on some rocks maybe the cold of the flu in the last 31 years nothing that I read on this website that others have suffered through I thank God every day that I don’t go through that I had a next lover who was diagnosed in November and was putting the ground in October the following year I was torn up. I don’t live with HIV HIV lives with me. It’s just hitching a ride and I’m not giving up so easy with the produce and Herbert‘s first came out. I talked to a specialist Dr. Jack Bissett. He’s retired. We both grew great together. That was our little joke 31 years ago. I met him and we decided I decided I will hold off treatment for a year because pro inhibitors were coming down the pipeline, but we were still looking at only having a ZT and too many people were dying on that so I waited and for the last almost 19 years, I have been undetectable on Tika and Discover. Then I take allopurinol for gout and two blood pressure medication’s but every day I pray for you reading this for your health that you continue to fight this battle for my health that I stay healthy and I hope that God sees fit to bless you and ways that your cup run it over October 16, 2026 I will celebrate my 31st birthday boy wouldn’t that be fun to be 31 again instead of 64 but I will have had this disease living with me for 31 years on October 16. May God bless you all take care.

October 1
A myHIVteam Member

Thank you for your question Brad as it is a good one. I myself needed to go into a support group with older men of 55 plus who have been HIV positive for over 25 years. This was the only way that I would finally accept the word disability along with hiv. It took a team and it will take a team of support for all to love themselves for who they are.

October 1
A myHIVteam Member

This brings up a memory ....

When during a leather run one of my cabin mates caught me when we were alone and asked me about Hiv .
( ok so I had admitted to the masses therein ( about 250 men in attendance during the parting brunch because some had already left ) that " I have Aids "

Well the cabin mate confided to me that his house mate was Poz but never wanted to talk about it ...

That's when I told him his house mate was committing " self hate " because he never thought he would become a victim of Hiv

Then the crew he came with was ready to vacate so he left without finding the particulars about dealing with Hiv ....

Yes in ensuing years we have crossed paths but he has never brought up the subject :( .

6 days ago
A myHIVteam Member

Not at first because I nearly had a nervous breakdown though yet I became so focused on surviving my drug addiction. The first time my meds stopped working in 2013 I attempted suicide and was in a coma for 13 days - I’ve always struggled with suicidal ideations - which will take me out .., the drugs, HIV or suicide ? I try not to think about those things 😢

October 2
Hi, this is just a check-in, based on a phrase you mentioned. If you — or anyone else who sees this — is thinking about self-harm, we want to say that you are an important part of this community. No part of this is easy, but there is support that can help. Read more >
A myHIVteam Member

Luis you got this your an inspiration to many😉

October 1

Related Questions

View All
A myHIVteam Member asked a question 💭
anthonymjohnson0803@icloud.com

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In